Tuesday, October 16, 2012

What to do with all our apples?! - Apple Puff Pastry!

Apple Galette Recipe

Apple & Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash

___________________________________________________________


I felt like desert but I didn't feel like doing all the work.  The galette dough I made ahead was in the freezer and I wasn't up to thawing it out.  So while at the grocery store I bought some puffed pastry.  With some inspiration from The Pioneer Woman & Martha Stewart I made my own.

This is definitely the no brainer cheat recipe!  And I called it a tart and get bombarded with people asking if it was a puffed pastry... bah - its good!  Who cares what to call it!

So here is what I did ....

1 sheet of store bought puff pastry
3 TBS homemade apple sauce (or a good quality store bought)
1 Apple - cored and THINLY sliced
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 TBS Sugar
1 egg - beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

  • Thaw your puff pastry sheet on the counter or refrigerator according to the box directions.  Slice the thawed dough in 1/2 and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
  • Toss thinly sliced apples with sugar, cinnamon & freshly grated nutmeg in a large bowl
  •  Brush edges of puffed pastry with egg wash being careful to not let it drip down the edges of the dough.
  • Spoon apple sauce into center of dough and spread up to egg washed edge
  • lay sliced apples over apple sauce
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown and puffed up


I liked it better hot right out of the oven, but if you prefer to let it cool - enjoy it cool.  Or ... hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!


No comments: