Saturday, October 13, 2012

What to do with all our apples?! - Apple & Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash!

So far we've thought of many many delicious things to do with our apples!

I found this recipe for Sausage Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash over at http://www.preventionrd.com and felt utterly inspired.  I had very few of the ingredients on the recipe so I made my own adaption and it turned on great!

The Acorn Squash
I lightly rubbed olive oil, salt & pepper on my halved acorn squash & placed them face up on a baking sheet to roast for 40 minutes at 400 degrees.

The Filling
Again I used what I had on hand and I did not measure anything so these are guestimates!

1/2 bulb of fennel
1 1/2 - 2 Sausage Links - Mild Italian
1 Clove Garlic
1/4 Finely diced onion
1 Apple - peeled, cored & diced
3-4 TBS Panko Breadcrumbs
1 Egg
Parmesan Cheese for sprinkling

Brown the sausage without casings until fully cooked.  Drain off oil and add onion, garlic, fennel & apple.  Sautee until tender.  Add sausage to vegetables & heat through.  Take off heat and stir in panko bread crumnbs and 1 egg.  Stir to combine.  Stuff inside cooked acorn squash & sprinkle with parmesan cheese.  Return to oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Enjoy!

This recipe was soooo good & a definite hit for Paul & I.  We will be making this again - possibly this week! =)




No comments: