Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Finally Out of a Hairy Situation

My hair has been down to my waist for quite some time.  I can't say that I loved it that long, but I did feel an attachment to it.  I've also felt proud... not everyone can grow their hair nor does everyone have the patience.  But it was long, boring and drab.  It layed heavy and flat and often caused me headaches because of the weight.  My husband was a huge fan as was his family and that probably helped me stick it out for this long... but no more.

I decided to make an appointment and hack it all off ... for a good cause of course.  I'll be donating my hair to make wigs for women who have suffered hair loss due to cancer & it's treatements.
As you can see in this photo - I wore my hair down to work.  It was sort of like me saying goodbye.

In the chair getting my hair seperated and tied so that they could be cut off.

I decided to cut off a foot... I think he cut off a little more!  No matter....

I still have a decent amount of hair and I love my lighter shorter do.

I'll be sending my hair to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths.  They accept hair at 8 inches or more.  I'll be sending them closer to 12.  Though Locks of Love is a popular place to send your hair (and I have sent hair there in the past), I have recently heard that much hair goes to waste there in the wig making process & I've also heard that they turn around and often times sell the wigs on a sliding scale based on financial need.  Though this may be a rumor, this didn't bode well with me.  Research I've done has shown it to be a mixed bag ... going in both directions.   Also their mission is to provide hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis.  Pantene's Beautiful Lengths is a partnership with the American Cancer Society (ACS), a large not for profit agency.  They accept monetary & hair donations, make wigs that are then turned over to ACS' wig banks, which distribute wigs accross the country.

I feel a bit more confident donating my hair to Pantene.  And that is where my hair will go. 

No comments: