Apple & Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash
I felt like desert but I didn't feel like doing all the work. The galette dough I made ahead was in the freezer and I wasn't up to thawing it out. So while at the grocery store I bought some puffed pastry. With some inspiration from The Pioneer Woman & Martha Stewart I made my own.
This is definitely the no brainer cheat recipe! And I called it a tart and get bombarded with people asking if it was a puffed pastry... bah - its good! Who cares what to call it!
So here is what I did ....
1 sheet of store bought puff pastry
3 TBS homemade apple sauce (or a good quality store bought)
1 Apple - cored and THINLY sliced
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 TBS Sugar
1 egg - beaten
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Thaw your puff pastry sheet on the counter or refrigerator according to the box directions. Slice the thawed dough in 1/2 and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Toss thinly sliced apples with sugar, cinnamon & freshly grated nutmeg in a large bowl
- Brush edges of puffed pastry with egg wash being careful to not let it drip down the edges of the dough.
- Spoon apple sauce into center of dough and spread up to egg washed edge
- lay sliced apples over apple sauce
I liked it better hot right out of the oven, but if you prefer to let it cool - enjoy it cool. Or ... hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!