Tuesday, October 21, 2008

38 minutes

38 minutes left and counting. I cannot wait till 5 o’clock. I cannot wait till the commencement of Girls Night! It will involve some much needed venting, drinking, playing, eating, and just being ourselves.

My cousins and I all grew up very close. The majority of use lived within a 2 block radius. We spent holidays at my house for some time… the kids crouched behind the brown 70’s couch with the super old TV with the bad color playing Nintendo – the original. We would all fight one another almost as much as we would bloody our knuckles for one another. But over the years things change, drama develops, and relationships strain.

Luckily I can say that I have a handful of relatives who despite the time lost, can still pick up right where we left off. My closest cousin during my teen developmental years was definitely Christina. Having undergone similar pasts, we always seemed to be able to relate. Sadly we lost touch, but were reunited by fate. Upon accepting my offer at HBO, my Grandma told me she thought Christina worked here… and so I emailed what I thought might be her email – and here we are today… back where we started… beyond family, friends too! Kareen and I have been bonded by similar yet completely different circumstances. In a time of need we both came together and from that moment forth, we basically set our relationship on track. Tonight I join them and my sister, my best friend and worst enemy, for a night of reminiscing, laughing, crying, and basically just comradely. It will be drama free, sort of, I’m sure we will be venting about our own personal strife and dramas, but rather than be judged, it’s a moment for us to be supported and supportive. It’s like therapy but free!

Side note: I was just reminded that we only have 23 more minutes!

Anyway, I’m just really grateful for the family I was given. There are a million things I can complain about regarding my family, but in the end, I know that I am loved, I know that I am supported, I know that I am looked up to, and I know I have someone to look up to. In this world, many people will make us promises, and many people will tell us terms of endearment, but it is only our family that we know will come through 100% in the end. Having great friends are hard to come by, and the few I have I cherish and consider a rare treasure, but having friends who are my family is like finding a treasure, one after another, and knowing exactly who I want to share it with.

(psst, 15 minutes left… still can’t wait!)

No comments: