Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Riding Log: Day 13-15 @ Steamboat, CO

So our 2nd Colorado trip is over and done with and I couldn't be sadder.

Day 1
It started off without any drama. After working from home till about 3, Paul, Jerry & I got picked up by Paul's dad. It wasn't easy squeezing 3 rollers + 3 backpacks + 4 bodies into the car, but after squeezing in and sitting on Paul's lap while laying over the bags, we were good to go. Our flight was not delayed, our baggage was checked and we headed to the gate where Sach met us. Once touching down in Dallas, we walked to our next gate and saw Andy. The 5 of us were on the same puddle jumper to Hayden. We picked up the gear and the rental car and were Steamboat bound.

Driving down Route 40 we saw an open liquor store and B-lined it just in time. The stores close at 11 and it was 10:40! $200 worth of beer later and we were off to 711 for cereal and milk. After unpacking the car and swigging a few beers we were driving to the Tugboat. This didn't last long. It was dead on a Wednesday late night. After 2 beers were were homebound to set up our gear and get some sleep for 1st tracks.

Day 2 (riding day 1)
We got up bright and early and started getting ourselves together. Once at the mountain we met our guide for 1st tracks. He was a cool older 2 planker. He took us up to the area we needed to be in and after asking us how we wanted to attach our morning, he took us right into the trees. We started off in the shadows where we did awesome. It was my 1st time in the trees and I'm pretty sure we held our own. After having the most amazing time getting through the most challenging thing I've ever done, I made the mistake of saying "that was the hardest thing I've ever done!" He looked worried... like maybe he shouldn't have taken me into the trees but I assured him I was loving every moment. We then moved into the closets which got denser. after it become too hard to manage he told me and Sach a way to duck out. As I traversed across this bumpy awkward terrain I could my heel edge and was set flying in the air only to land on my head. It definitely shook me up. The guide then took us to morningside where we did a few more trees and was told what spots we had to hit up. Then we said our good byes and headed into the trees for some more fun.

After a bit a water break was necessary. But 1st we went into Christmas Tree bowl! I hated it... the top was fun, but then it flattened out and we couldn't help from getting stuck once in a while. It took everything out of me. We NEEDED water and a snack.

The rest of the day was spent exploring the mountain. We went to every section and really just had a blast. Andy tried to stop/spray me and ended up taking out my back with the board... a bruise and a clench later and I was up and running. But an icy fall on my butt said those head pains from the 1st fall shooting back. It required a tylenol break.

We were pretty much all beat. We really had a crazy full day as it was. So we split up... Paul hit up Sunshine lift and the rest of us hit the park. After a few park laps we decided it was time to throw back a few pitchers... the best way to end a hard and successful day of shred!

We ended up entering the bar and just chowing down on some burgers and beers. Hit the grocery store and then went home and drank some more in the hot tub. After which we got showered and again drank some more.

Day 3: (riding day 2)

This day started nice and early much to our surprise. We rode all over the place. I'm pretty sure we covered most of the mountain. It was a lot of fun. More trees... though a bit more tracked out. We spent a ton of time getting lost trying to find lines we did the day before. We hit up every possible section until our legs were wobbly and we were satisfied. The day ended like it usually did... with beer and food

Some baked ziti later and we decided it was time to go to Steamboat Springs proper for some beers and bitches...well girls for the single boys. We went to the boathouse which was empty and then ended up at the Tap House. A bunch of beers later and we found ourselves on the corner waiting for the bus that seemed to take forever. After the bus picked us up, we stopped at McDonalds. We got back on the bus and got lost on the way home... I dont think Andy took that well. Oh well now we were home and in bed

Day 4 (riding day 3):

At this point everyone was sore... and it was almost comical how bad everyones feet hurt in the morning. We woke up early and headed strait into the trees which were even MORE tracked out. We went back to the skiers right side of the mountain near Storm Peak Express and others... the day was really perfect despite the lack of freshies! We did poach some under some local lifts and in the trees. It wasn't FRESH but it was untracked.

Right after this... we were headed back over to the front when a loud snap occurred in the trees.... fortunately it was the Rome Design still attached to Andy's feet... not Andy's bones! the board was done... cracked the nose right off. After a not so fun walk down the hill, Andy was homebound to pick up the Rossignol which he thankfully brought.

Jerry had some goggle problems so we went into the store where he was able to get a kick ass pair. Andy also got a helmet after our 1st day of riding, thankfully... I get really worried about these boys.

So anyway that was the riding more or less... good stuff all around. Except that I banged my head the 1st day bad... Jerry whacked his face on the pipe... and Andy broke a board. Otherwise... all epic and awesome stuff.

After the riding was done and we were showered and pregamed via our made up game of cricketcup we were headed to the Tugboat where a local reggae band was scheduled to perform. After many pitchers + shots + dancing... the place was closing down and we were headed home.

Day 5:
We woke up, packed up, cleaned up and headed to the Creekside cafe for breakfast. Its a place Paul and I loved from our 1st time there. From there... a bit of shopping and off to the airport. We were homeward bound and it was sad... so I wont even write about it.

Riding is something to be enjoyed... never do it for anything else.

No comments: