Saturday, September 12, 2009

All Natural Beauty

Today I went to the natural market near my home. There were a few things I needed like bread and lettuce, but I also needed some beauty products that I'd recently run out of.

I've been using Olivella Olive Oil Soap on my face and body for a few weeks now and I see no negative effects. My face feels clean and I don't get any spontaneous breakouts. I also use Dr. Bronners baby mild organic bar soap (unscented) to both clean my hands and diva cup. I decided to take my natural beauty routine a bit further. Today I made a oatmeal facial scrub to use once a day to help keep my skin healthy and clean.

Oatmeal is a great exfoliant, moisturizer, itch fighter, and cleanser. Basicfally your skin loves oatmeal as much as your tummy. I bought some organic oats from the bulk bin at my local natural market, costing me only 99 cents. I got this Almond Oatmeal Facial Scrub online. It calls for 1/4 cup oats, 1/4 cup almonds, 1 TBS corn starch, & 1 TBS chamomile - I had all on hand except for the corn starch so I just left it out. Chamomile flowers are great to have on hand - it makes delicious tea. I eyeballed it, never one to measure, threw it in my food processor and it was done. I poured it into a washed and dried recycled salsa jar (which I decorated) and threw it on my sink. To use it, you take a teaspoon and mix it with warm water. It produces this white milky liquid. You rub it on your face and rinse with warm water (you can leave it on like a mask as well). Other recipes call for just oatmeal, water and honey. I can always add honey to this mixture, but I think I like it as is... less fuss.

2 Other additions I've added to my natural beauty arsenal are Dr. Bronner Products. I've been battling dry scalp and dandruff for quite some time. I've gone to a Dermotologist who perscribed me several perscription shampoos and oils, but it just didn't seem right. Even after using them, my scalp still itched and my hair smelled medicated. I decided to try the Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree Liquid Soap in my hair. Tea Tree Oils are known for their healing properties as well as their usefullness in fighting dermititis. And since my hair is so long and conditioning necessary, I also purchased Dr. Bronner's Lavener Hair Conditioner & Style Cream. I haven't started this new hair regiment yet, but as soon as I do, I'll be sure to update with results.

My next step is facial cream.

No comments: