Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Homemade Sorbet?

yep... last night on the way home from my Grandma's we stopped at Paul's Mom's house to visit and pick up our new lease. He got to asking if his Mom would make him liquado for tomorrow's drive into NYC.

Liquado is essentially another name for smoothy. Unlike the American commercial versions, this one is handmade with lots of fresh fruit, milk/yogurt, frozen exotic fruits, oatmeal, juice and tons of other ingredients that fit Paul's Mother's appetite. And they are always delicious.

I've made them at home for ourselves, but tend to use lots more ice to make it into a more icy smoothy treat rather than... fruit shake.

Anyway, last night in our warm apartment, I thought that I should try my hand at making some sorbet. We had a handful of fresh berries on hand and tons of frozen fruit. So I grabbed my blender from the cabinet and got to work.

I grabbed a couple of handfuls of frozen mango, peaches & raspberries & through them into my blender. I also added a couple of fresh blueberries. For sweetness I added a couple of tsps of honey. I knew my frozen fruit wouldn't be too sweet and it needed a little extra sweetness, but I didn't want to add too much. I still wanted to taste the fruit. I also like that tart taste. I like a little crunch (picture the texture you get from strawberry and raspberry seeds). To get that desired texture, I added a tbs of whole flax seed. I turned my blender on and let it get to work. I added orange juice as needed to keep the blender going and once it was nice and smooth I poured it into a large plastic container. I made sure that the mixture was only about 1/2 inch high to promote the texture I was looking for. After about 15 - 20 minutes, I took the container out and with a fork, I scraped, poked, jabbed and mixed it around. I then re-smoothed it out and let it go for another 10 - 15 minutes. I then grabbed 2 stemless red wine glasses, served up 2 small scoops each... and we went to town. It was a perfect warm summer dessert and a great way to eat your needed fruit servings.

I wish I took a picture... well there will always be next time.

I think the key with getting the proper consistency is to use frozen and really cold ingredients. If not, I fear it would have been a frozen block of ice.

Oh and trust me... I know how much this sounds like a granita recipe... at least in the freezing process... but it wasn't. It wasn't icy like... it was smooth and sorbet like. Whatever you want to define it as... this non-turned sorbet was delish!

No comments: