Friday, March 13, 2009

Goodbye, Facebook

So upon pondering Facebook (FB), the FB world and my countless "friends" on FB, I decided it was time to deactivate.

I used to have Myspace (Crackspace/MS) and decided it was time to delete. I did so because I had friends on there who were NOT my friends, I had been through drama due to who was on my top 8, and misunderstood due to pictures I had put up or messages I left. I actually had a friend accuse me of choosing to hang out with my "other friends" instead of her... and she knew this because pictures were posted and I was in them. What psychos! Needless to say, aforementioned friend is no longer my friend because of her psycho jealous tendencies. And lets not even get into the stalking.

That being said, I joined the wonderful world of FB. It was a lot more quiet. You had a few pictures, you wrote on walls, and you were all college students or graduates, but then shit hit the fan. FB became Crackspace in a matter of months. That marked the collapse of FB love for me. It was exciting for a time... satisfying my MS addition, but all addictive things must come to an end one day. And that was today for me. No more fake friends, no more catching up with people I could care less about, and no more incriminating pictures that could be seen by my friends, family, and co-workers.

Through my years on FB I've racked up friends from: HS, College, Work, Family, Snowboard acquaintances, estranged family, enemies, even friends of co-workers, family, or enemies. WTF!?!

So today upon hitting the lovely DEACTIVATE button I was faced with many questions... all of which had an answer to try to convince me to keep FB. It was like trying to unsubscribe to HBO, they will offer you a discount, Cinamax for free, even beg you to keep it, but in the end all you want them to do is SHUT. IT. OFF. (can be compared to ending your cell phone service as well).

Upon clicking something that basically said just deactivate I was answered with a message that stated: "Remember, you can reactivate at any time by logging in with your email and password, although you must have access to your current login email address. Also note that your admin status in any groups or events will not be automatically restored after activation." Followed by an Opt Out of Email option which said: "Note: Even after you deactivate, your friends can still invite you to events, tag you in photos, or ask you to join groups. If you opt out, you will NOT receive these email invitations and notifications from your friends."

Did I just sell my soul to the Devil? So even if I deactivate, I am still technically ON FACEBOOK! THIS IS BULLSHIT! It's like HAHAHAHA, you signed up and NOW YOU CANNOT BE LET GO!

So you know what Facebook, FUCK YOU!!!!

Fearing that I just put my life on display forever, I went ahead and deleted every album I've ever uploaded onto FB, every picture, and every personal identifying factor (employer, school, location, etc...) I then blocked all "Friends" from being able to view tagged photos and tagged information. Basically my profile is now almost like a black slate... unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to block everything, but good enough. At this point, I'd like to deactivate but am unsure what difference this will make if people can still tag me in photos, invite me to events, and who knows what else.

STUPID FACEBOOK, I HATE YOU!!!!

In this aspect, Myspace, you are awesome because I can make you go away!

2 comments:

Lilia said...

Puv just sent me this!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2C2817%2C2342599%2C00.asp

I teaches you how to DELETE (not deactivate) facebook as well as others ... WOOHOO!

Unknown said...

What a STUD this Puv guy is.....