Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lenten Sacrifice?

Amanda Panda gave up Chocolate. She's 10... it's what 10 year old do. They chose something they like and give it up. Some give up candy, some chocolate, some soda, etc... So she gave up Chocolate. Good for her.

Kyle gave up candy. He's 4... he said this and in the same day had chocolate. Does chocolate count as candy? Does caving on your sacrificial choosing count as a slip if you're 4?

I gave up my time as an uninformed Christian. For the 40 days of lent I have decided I will read scripture daily and thoughtfully in order to bring myself closer to God. I have chosen to join a reading program set up to read 6 days a week where the 4 books of the New Testament (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) will be read in entirety by Easter.

These 4 books which comprise the New Testament will be more than a refresher for me. I don't believe I've ever read them in totality. I don't think I've ever read them thoughtfully. I've spent many hours squinting over the Old Testament but have spent very little time getting to know my savior, Jesus Christ. Being that Lent is a solemn time spent before the Easter celebration following Jesus' crucifixion ... allowing him to die for MY sins... I think this is as good a time as any to get to know my hero.

I've began a bit late. I thought I'd read weekly but then found that reading daily would be more beneficial. As such I'm catching up 5 days worth of reading which I'd missed. I've started with Matthew and so far so good. I've paid close attention to the words but also I try and fill in the blanks. Anyone whose read the Bible knows that it is filled with gaps and inconsistencies. It leaves out much emotion and tends to tell a story without being vivid or descriptive. It is up to me to fill in the blanks and read the stories thoughtfully and appreciatively.

This neither makes me a good Catholic nor a moral person but by being more informed about what I claim to believe, I may be able to believe more whole heartedly.

I'm suffering from stress, worry and at times depression these days. Not because of any horrible events which came to pass but because my life is changing ... and at times out of my control. Both good and bad have come to pass in the recent months and maybe getting more in touch with my God will help me to cope.

It may also help me to grow as a person.

I hope you all have a fulfilling season of Lent. I hope that you all look at it as a time to not just sacrifice but to also appreciate.

No comments: