Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Apple Galette

As I told all of you, Paul and I have a bushel of apples and a few pairs that need consuming. I was going to make a pie, but I wanted to make my own pie crust... something I've never done before. Instead I made an apple galette which tastes similar, but honestly, the crust was better!

I found the recipe in one of the blogs I follow... You know how we're an art family and figured I'd give it a go.

The crust was simple. I used a hand mixer and it came out fine. The dough didn't exactly come together immediately... I almost made the mistake of adding a splash more of cream... instead I dipped my hands right in there and smushed... and it came together in no time at all. I formed a ball, wrapped in it plastic and plopped in it the fridge.

Meanwhile, I started slicing up the apples. There was no science here. I came pretty close to buying an apple peeler/corer/slicer, but honestly, I'd use it a handful of times a year. So I took out my trusty Y peeler and got to work. A pairing knife to core and a big ole sharp knife to make nice thin slices. I like think slices rather than chunks in most apple deserts!




I threw in the sugar and spices and stirred away. I did alter the recipe slightly... I added a couple of grates of whole nutmeg. I love nutmeg so I figured a bit wouldn't hurt. I also added 1 tsp of brown sugar. I love brown sugar with apples. I figured 1 tsp wouldn't make it too sweet. Once that was done I rolled 1/2 the dough out on my clean floured counter top. This was definitely not something I'm good at. It was the strangest shape ever and the edges were all wonky. No matter. I filled it's center with the apple goodness. Folded the edges in. Threw on an egg wash and sprinkle of sugar and threw it in the oven at 400 degrees for 37 minutes. I checked it at 30 and it was a bit pale so I left it in for another 7 minutes or so. It obviously depends on your oven.


I had some left over apples. I didn't want to over stuff the pastry because I was afraid the dough would rip. So I threw it in a mini dish and eyeballed a crumble topping of flour, butter, oats, cinnamon and brown sugar. That came out great too!


They both came out spectacular. This may replace all of my apple pie recipes in the future. I liked the crust a lot better... and there was more of it. Crust is my favorite part of most pies anyway!

No comments: