Thursday, May 12, 2011

No-Pooing (Day 1)

So... I'll call this day 1, even though it isn't. Yesterday I decided to just do it... to stop using shampoo. This doesn't mean I'll forgo washing my hair in it's entirety, but I'll at least stop using shampoos to do it.

After a vigorous workout at the gym I decided I needed to wash my oily hair. My scalp was a little itchy and well I'm sure it smelled like old hat.

I stopped at the pharmacy on my way home and grabbed a box of baking soda for about $1.20. The proper ratio is 1 Tbs baking soda for every 1 cup of water. So I measured out 2 Tbs of baking soda and 2 cups of water and put them into an empty water bottle I had laying around that I didn't want to throw away. I gave it a good hearty shake till the baking soda dissolved and threw it into my shower.

I had combed through my long locks before getting in the shower to help keep my hair tangle free. I hate combing through tangles when my hair is wet.

I hopped in and let the warm water rinse my body. Then I opened the bottle and poured some over the top of my scalp, behind my ears and I flipped my head over and did the back of my head. I gently massaged my scalp... and noticed a salty taste. I ran a wide toothed comb through it to ensure I didn't have any annoying tangles. Then I soaped my my body and rinsed everything off all at once.

When I got out, I towel dried my hair, combed through it, and hit the hay.

This morning I woke up to clean hair. It was a little wavier than usual. I'm unsure if this was because of the lack of conditioner or because I slept funny on it. In any event... it was clean. My scalp so far doesn't itch or feel irritated. So lets see how this goes.

Now the waiting game is the hardest part!

No comments: