Tuesday, May 17, 2011

No-Pooing (Day 2)

Let me explain... This isn't the 2nd day I've gone without shampoo but the 2nd day I've washed with a solution of baking soda and water.

So here we go.

This weekend after much time playing in the sun outside, I needed a good hair washing, but I didn't have any of my stuff with me, so I choice to forgo any solutions at all and just washed my hair with hot water. It worked fine. My hair wasn't super clean, but wasn't greasy either.

2 days later I decided it was time for a wash... so last night I stopped at the store and bought their last bottle of apple cider vinegar (ACV) and got to work.

I washed out an old spritz bottle, but I realize it's sprays too little... I may need to upgrade to a true spray bottle like what you'd use to mist your plants or clean your windows. I added 1 Tbs of ACV to the bottle & 1 cup of water... then because I feared smelling like ACV, I added another couple of Tbs of water.

In the shower I massaged the water & Baking Soda (BS) mixture in my hair until it felt clean and slippery. I let the solution sit for a few seconds then rinsed thoroughly. After I generously sprayed my hair (not scalp) with the ACV solution. I combed through my hair with an extra wide toothed comb & rinsed thoroughly.

My hair was still damp this morning when I woke up. It was still wavier than usual, but again this may be because I slept on it. It was definitely clean and smelled fresh but of no particular perfume. I found that there was no vinegar smell at all. My hair was uncooperative and due to both the bed head and the humidity, my hair was frizzy so I smoothed on a couple of rubs of coconut oil which did the trick. It brought on a lovely shine and manageability.

I do use 2 types of styling products on my hair when needed (usually after a washing with shampoo or the BS Solution).

The 1st is both natural and organic. It is a Lavender Hair Conditioner and Styling Creme from Dr Bronner. It's ingredients are ... well natural and organic. Even the Ethanol. Check out their ingredients listing:
Water, Organic Coconut Oil*, Organic Ethanol, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Lavender Oil, Organic Quillaja Saponaria Extract, Xanthan Gum, Tocopherol
I love their products. Particularly their soaps!




Click here for the benefits of Lavender


I also have used
The Body Shop's Cocnut Oil Hair Shine for years. This is far from organic and definitely has some ingredients that I can hardly pronounce. It's mostly made of pure coconut. The tin I have is at least 10 years old. It's the red tin below. It appears the packaging has changed. I'm sure it's the same thing though. I don't plan on replacing this with anything new and organic until I'm done with the container. It would just be a waste. And honestly, it works really well.

Click here for Cocnut Oil Benefits

No comments: