Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fish

I know this will not please many people ... particularly the chefs, cooks and green police, but I have to share.

The east coast has had a heat wave this week - and boy was it hot. In addition, my apartment's water just dried up. No, I still don't know why. I got home to my hot apartment and waltzed into the kitchen not knowing what to eat when I remembered Paul's mom telling me she has cooked fish in the microwave at work for lunch.

I know I know... Microwaves cause cancer, take away from the texture of food and are simply not a cooking tool. I know I know!

But it's 98 degrees in my apartment, I'm hungry, and I have almost no water coming out of my sink. So I searched in my freezer for some frozen talapia I purchased from BJ's wholesale. Yes, they are individually wrapped. Yes, I know this isn't green. Yes, I bought them anyway. Yes, it's helped to reduce fuel and waste in my home. Does it offset? I don't know.

Anyway, I sprinkled some lemon, pepper, salt, and olive oil on my defrosted fish, threw it in the microwave for 2 minutes and it was great. You would never know I didn't put it in the oven for 15 minutes. You'd never know it took me a total of 4 minutes to throw it together. I paired it with a tomato and onion salad (my fav!) and some bread sticks. Instant dinner and I only had to wash 1 fork, 1 knife, 1 cutting board, 1 bowl and 1 small plate. (I soaped them in my kitchen sink but after frustration ensued do to the non existent water pressure, I rinsed them in the bathroom sink).

A yummy cheap dinner that took minutes and didn't increase the temp in my already sweltering home.

No comments: